Sunday, April 28, 2013
Sporty Spice
There are certain times in life when routine events feel momentous. When you stop and notice because you think -- wow -- have I made it to this point in my life? For example, I remember setting the table in our house in Hawaii shortly after being married and feeling like I was playing house. Was I really grown up enough for this? Didn't I used to watch my mom do this? Or the first time you use your wedding china. Again, I remember thinking, this can't be real - I have china?!?
So, a few weekends ago, I was getting Ella ready for soccer and was struck with the same feeling. It will certainly become an ordinary, mundane task as I get the kids ready for who knows how many weekend sports activities over the years to come. But something stopped me as I was grabbing her water bottle, putting on her shin guards, and herding us all out to the car. Again, I felt like I was pretending to be a mommy -- getting my kid all ready just as I had watched my own parents do a number of times. I was also hit with the realization that we have fully hit family/suburban/"soccer on saturdays" life. Yikes.
All of this was over a soccer practice that does not involve games, and during which Ella largely spends her time shuffling around in the grass. But hey, we all have to start somewhere, right? :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment