Saturday, January 17, 2015

A Plague Upon Our House

The house is quiet.  I just finished unloading the dishwasher for the third time today and am now sitting down to a dinner of clementines and Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream (do not pity me - I am quite excited about this dinner).

What I am less excited about is the sickness that has plagued our house for nearly four weeks now.  We are all generally healthy, so I really can't complain, but this winter has been pretty unreal.  Brian is now dosed up on Tamiflu and in bed.  This is after Ella and Parker weathered the flu over Christmas while the rest of us had horrible hacking coughs and colds, and then last week Cooper came down with the stomach flu and the "real" flu simultaneously.  Let me tell you, cleaning up after poor C got sick in the middle of the night is by far the grossest thing I have encountered in my six years of parenting.  When he came stumbling into our room in the middle of the night, I literally screamed when I saw him.  Quite a mess.  If Brian hadn't been here, I probably would have just moved out and burned the place down.

And of course, just as Cooper was recovering, Ella came down with the stomach flu.  And before she was even done, Brian got the flu (he actually tested negative, but they are pretty sure it's the flu and put him on Tamiflu).  Throw in a double ear infection for Parker, bronchitis for Brian, pink eye multiple times and lovely chest colds for everyone, and it's been quite a cocktail of germs over here.  Last week my throat hurt so badly that I went to urgent care convinced I had strep (I didn't).  Brian and I have been on a continuous loop of trying to make sure everyone is fed, clean, medicated, hydrated.  We both have managed to make it into work a few times and luckily haven't been fired (yet).

Needless to say, we are ready for Spring.

My ice cream container is empty, so I think that's my cue to sign off. 

No comments: