Monday, June 18, 2012

Dada's Day -- sans Daddy

I realize all the time what a unique situation we have.  Two amazing sets of grandparents, right here, all the time, helping to raise these kiddos.  E & C really do have three sets of parents -- and I wouldn't want it any other way!  



So, even though Daddy #1 was in China, we had two other very important Dads to celebrate.  We decided to celebrate with fish tacos, margs, beer and baseball at Nana and Baba's.

It was somewhat chaotic, but that's to be expected of course.  Ella was tired -- way tired -- and not in her best form.  I'm not sure if she is trying to prep me for when she is 13, or soften the blow that she is no longer my baby and is growing up -- but wow, she put on quite a show.  I remember writing that I loved her being two -- that I had no idea why people said it is the terrible twos.  Well, I definitely know why it is the terrible threes!  She was going to put on a puppet show for us, but it devolved into a 15 minute lecture on the "rules" we had to follow -- delivered in a sort of rambling, tired, three year old style -- and ended with crying and her snatching toys away from Cooper.  Although beneath that sassafras smarty pants, I still see my sweet sweet girl...somewhere.

See...


 Sassy.


Sweet.

And three.

  

She was helping Nana with the dishes.  And gagging.  She is quite the delicate thing.  I can tell she is going to be a big help around the house.




Oh, but don't get me started on this guy.  I could eat him with a spoon.  In all fairness to Ella, he is at the super-adorable-15-month-I-am-the-cutest-thing-ever age.  All I can say is, I wasn't sure I wanted a boy.  But thank goodness someone knew better than I did what I needed!  He is a million pounds of sweetness, smiles, innocence, trusting, I-love-the-world-and-want-to-learn-everything-about-it all rolled into an adorable blond fluff ball.  Will I say this when he's three?  Only time will tell...


Even without the main Daddy around, I got to watch my two munchkins with these other men they adore, truly.  I was close to my grandparents growing up -- but not like this.  Not so that I really considered them part of my immediate, every day family.



 So, really, couldn't you just eat this little guy up?  My little Brian even when Brian's not here.


There are moments when I think I'm in a movie.  But no, this is my life.  (Trust me, there are also plenty of times when I feel like I am in a very frightening movie that involves over-tired children, incessant crying, a defiant three year old, and scraping food off the high chair). 

Perhaps it's a musical?  Or Riverdance?


Little Brian.



Ella doing what she does best.  Giving orders.  Red light.  Green light.




The boys.  Love love love them.


And I love these girls too, so very much.






This is what Ella drives us to -- she refused to take a picture, so we tried to coax her into it by making funny faces.  But no, she gets the last laugh by looking away.

Oh Ella, you are too smart for your own good.  What am I going to do with you?!?

1 comment:

Susan55 said...

We are the lucky ones!! Thank you for sharing your wonderful children with us so freely!!
Love,
Mimi and Poppa